Healthy agriculture, sustainable food
Food is a basic need for our existence. Therefore, the way in which our food is produced deserves our undivided attention. Agriculture is not an industry and animals are not machines. Future-proof agriculture is mainly focused on plant-based food, free of pesticides, fertiliser or gentech and contributes to maintaining a healthy ecosystem. Today's contemporary livestock farming is unsustainable.
The agricultural policy in many countries has made many victims over the years; billions of animals who suffer and die in the European livestock industry each year; nature and the environment that have been severely affected by the use of pesticides, fertiliser, and eutrophication.
The Western food supply is severely off balance, placing a huge and irresponsible burden on global resources and agricultural lands. That is partly caused by the mass import of cattle feed and by the use of fertiliser and agricultural chemicals in agriculture.
Small farm businesses in Europe were put on a disastrous road to grow more and more. All of this at the expense of the European taxpayer: tens of billions of euros are spent on agricultural subsidies on an annual basis, which particularly benefit large businesses.
A healthy, sustainable agricultural sector is only possible if we repair natural cycles and pay farmers a fair price for their products. We must also gain full insight into the origin of our food, how it is produced and whether the price covers the costs. The food chain must be short and open, in order to prevent tampering with food. Loss leader pricing of meat is unacceptable and we will fight food waste.
Our ultimate goal is ecological, animal-friendly agriculture that produces healthy food and is not dependent on imports at the expense of humans and animals elsewhere. This makes it inevitable that the number of animals in the livestock industry will be reduced and requires a switch to a more plant-based food pattern.
- 8 July 2020 Esther's Blog: The year of breakthroughs
- 30 June 2020 The end of the Dutch mink farming industry - one of the largest in the world
- 10 June 2020 Controversial ‘Mercosur Deal’ rejected thanks to Dutch Party for the Animals
- 2 June 2020 Give employees and companies a sustainable future: impose conditions on state aid for polluting sectors now
- 26 May 2020 Esther’s Blog: Building a food system together that will benefit everybody!
- 19 May 2020 Intense animal suffering during maritime transport officially confirmed: sanctions required
- 12 May 2020 Worldwide call for a food revolution!
- 28 April 2020 Esther's Blog: Carry on with fundamental changes now
- 7 April 2020 "The time is always right to do what's right": right now we need to support all vulnerable groups
- 31 March 2020 Esther’s Blog: A safer world for animals is a safer world for people